Friday, July 25, 2008

COFFEE OR CUP

My father in-law would send me tons of email everyday and I just can't finish reading every one of it and I would delete some without reading. Just as I was about to delete this "Coffee or Cup " , then I thought, ok maybe I will read this because it's just a short one. I'm glad i read it and i would like to share it with all of you.

*The happiest people in this world are not those who have no problems, but those who learn to live with things that are less than perfect.*

A group of graduates, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old university professor. Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work and life. Offering his guests coffee, the professor went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups, porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite, telling them to help themselves to the coffee.


When all the students had a cup of coffee, the professor said: "If you noticed, all the nice looking expensive cups were taken up,leaving behind the simple and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee.In most cases, it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the best cups... Then you began eyeing each other's cups."


Now consider this: "Life is the coffee; the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, and the type of cup we have does not define, nor change the quality of Life we live. Sometimes, by concentrating on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee. Enjoy your coffee!."



*The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything*


1) Live simply. 2) Love generously. 3) Care deeply. 4) Speak kindly.

You are the miracle, my friend; your life either shines a light OR casts a shadow! Shine a light & enjoy the Coffee!!!

For those who have seen this, I'm sure you wouldn't mind reading again and for those who haven't, I'm sure you must have heard it many times somewhere. Now, many of us is chasing for the best cup in order to have a better coffee..Do we really need the best cup to enjoy the best coffee? Life is short!! We only Live Once!! We don't want to wait till we get the best cup to taste the best coffee...It may be too late...Think about it...

This is similar to what I've wrote on 22nd April "BE CONTENTED & HAPPY"

10 comments:

slavemom said...

Wah... ur FIL so IT-savvy one. This is an interesting read. Sometimes we lose perspective of wat we're looking for in life. We're so caught up chasing after the materialistic life, we forgot to live a simple happy life.

LindaLow said...

Yeah man..He knows more than me la..Already 76yrs old and still upgrading his computer..haa..haa.. He is very open minded and very Kwai Lou thinking too..:)

Lee said...

Hi Linda, nice posting. You sure got one heck of a FIL.
Should ask him to start a blog....bet he'll have lots of memories etc. Someone like him, and with his humour and love of computers should have a blog. Bet he'll have fun....like me. Ha ha.

I like to live life with no excuses and love with no regrets...
Regrets I may have, but too few to mention.

I have had many experiences of how vulnerable we are and to me, there's no time to waste deciding or choosing which cup to drink my coffee from...I want the coffee, and coffee tastes just as good from a Royal Doultan or a chipped cup from Kedai Kopi Ah Hong.

Why I mentioned above...well you know only a few days back I lost a friend, Shera...while waiting for her third reply to my comment in her blog (I was the last one to chat with her)...and Chahya, her good friend informed me Shera has passed away due a bad traffic accident. Guess you know how I feel.

Past 45 years I have lost many friends, thru sickness, thru accidents, some younger, some older than me...thus, when I started working, it was eat to live, not live to eat (except when on ahemm, dates)
All my life I only owned 4 neckties...never more than 3 pairs of shoes, no designer shirts. Only my cars were ahemm, abit expensive. I allowed myself 1 sin, ha ha.

Linda, if you free...take a peek at my archive, "Not fated, or just lucky", d/d 2/15/08.

And, "I want my mummy", d/d 2/19/08

And you'll understand what I mean. You have a nice weekend, be good, Lee.

Jaanvi said...

Thanks for coming by.
Cool.. very nice post...

andrewjune said...

this is a very meaningful post...i guess i will provide the best cup for my baby cos i never had before the BEST cup during my childhood days...so i guess hubby and i work hard for her now...

having said that, i will NOT spoil her even if she has the BEST cup...there must always be a balance in between...

HV A GREAT WEEKEND :-)

p/s: and yes, she is our first grandaughter in the family...diff of 2 days to my sister's son (the second grandchildren)

LindaLow said...

Hi Lee,

I dont think my FIL will start blogging:) He cannot type very fast even chatting online with me, he take forever to reply..he said he prefer to just hit the "forward" button..

Will surely check out your recommended archive..
Have a nice day:)

LindaLow said...

Hi June,

I guess we are all sitting in the same boat. Not having the best cup during our childhood days.. Each time, I read stories like this, I'll pull my handbrake and live simply and be happy for awhile:) Is hard not to chase for the best cup but I'll try hard to be contented with the cup I hv now:)

Sue said...

I could never imagine my hubs sending me an email, no need to mention FIL *LOL*... very IT savvy indeed :D

Bits said...

Hi Linda, nice phrases, nice reminder to all of us... live life to the fullest and as simple as we can. It is easier to say than done, but we surely realised it after reading this good example of yours & your FIL. :) Keep posting more!

LindaLow said...

Hi Sue,
I'm sure hwen we are old, we will send emails to our child too:) wouldn't you:)

Hi Bit's of life & taste,
I think is harder now to try to live simpler. Cost of living is increasing, how not to strive harder looking for the best cup:)