Tuesday, April 8, 2008

NON WORKING MOM VS WORKING MOM


Non working mom does not think of herself as tai tai because they do not have all the money and time in the world for shopping, facials, spas etc. But the working mom envies her for the extra time she has with her children and herself. Basically, marketing, child and husband consumed almost the whole day. She literally works round the clock, sometimes wondering why, despite having a good job that paid handsomely, she chose this path. Is her job easier than working mom?

Her problems and stresses:
1) Financially dependent on husband= no money
2) No annual leave, no sick leave and NO RESIGNATION!! ( Is a lifetime commitment!! )
3) Feel disconnected from the real world
4) Always the best choice for family to call in case of emergency
5) Sometimes taken for granted and unappreciated

Job satisfaction
1) Devote time to family
2) See through every step of her children's life
3) Own time, own target, no deadlines, no boss to report to

VERSUS

Working mom always regards herself as an office slave. Her world revolves around her boss, her kids and her husband. Non working mom envies her for the extra cash she has. She works round the clock too and sometimes wondering if she derived more joy and satisfaction from her day job or night job.


Her problems and stresses

1) Workplace frustration: deadlines, workloads, overtime, demand etc

2) Long hours at work, little time for family

3) Risk of detachment from children



Job satisfaction

1) Financial Independence

2) Looked upon as competent and capable

3) Puts skills, intellect, experiences, interest to good use in workforce

4) Constantly challenges and upgrades self



So, all mommies, where do you belong to? Me? Of course the non working mom!! Actually, it is not too bad being a non working mom except for no income:)


Well, i do enjoy sleeping till 8:00am, no reports to write, no targets and no need to answer to my boss when i don't meet my target...hee..hee...(those were the days)

8 comments:

andrewjune said...

i'm a working mum...babysitter takes care after my girl girl in the day time...both me and hubby will look after her at night time and full time at weekends...
so usually during the day, we have time to ourselves besides working...
there are always pro & cons of a non-working mum and a working mum...most importantly, we do it for our kid(s) :-)

Anggie's Journal said...

I m totally agreed with my ex-classmate - June (andrejune) ... :) & my situation almost the same as her too... :)
i only see my son after my work and during weekend .
I m a working mum too and will still prefer to be a working mum .
i cant stay at home for too long ... i will get sick *-*
But i m amazed with mummies which is non working mum, cos i think is a harder job ever !!

LindaLow said...

Hi Anggie,
Trust me that I never believed i could be a non working mom.I have no choice but to leave everything behind for my husband's career in Singapore 6 months ago. It was hell initially but ok now. Will post my life in spore soon on the blog:)

Chinneeq said...

before i resigned my job, i always tot that SAHM has all the time at home. Now I am at home, the hour hand on my clock move as quick as the second hand :(

Nevertheless, i enjoy seeing my girl most of the moment, touching her wet body when i bath her, having the fullest satisfaction when she eats d lunch I cook after school :)

Ita said...

I do envy non-working mum sometimes cause they get to spend time with their kids at home...but at the same I do enjoy working. I was just thinking about this issue last night. Contemplating whether I should resign and stay at home or just continue working. But if my husband is a millionaire I would have resigned long time ago.

chanelwong said...

staying at home is a great challenge..I admire you...

slavemom said...

I can totally relate to wat u've said. Really no leave at all (not even sick leave huh). N let's not even think of resigning. Coz that's the day we breathe our last breath! :D
But all those moments we spend with our children n witnessing their growth every step of the way, we'd still be vy happy being at home, with no money to call our own. hehehe

grace said...

Hi Linda,

Did you work at all after you had kids or were you always a SAHM (by choice?)? I'm writing an article about the pros and cons of SAHM vs Working Moms.

Would you be willing to share your views? I have a list of questions if you have the time to answer them.

My email is gracechia@gmail.com

Thanks!